Go Back   Midwest Mustang Association > Technical Discussion Forums > General Tech
Home Arcade Member's Rides Forum Home iTrader

Notices

Old 06-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
MCQEEN
MMA Premier Member

Default My battle with the fuel filler neck 2001 Bullitt

So putting gas in the Bullitt the other day and I see a small drip of gas coming out by the filler neck near the tank. It didn't leak while driving or parked. Just when putting gas in. At first I thought it was the filler neck seal at the tank. After using all the gas in the tank, I order a new seal and started to take it apart to make sure it was the seal.

First I removed the plastic split loom that was wrapped around the filler neck to find a bunch of rust fall out of it. That confirmed my thought that it was the filler neck not the seal. Getting the filler neck out is a HUGE PITA. Luckily the tank was almost empty because you have to drop it down. After removing all the bolts and plastic filler panels in the 1/4 panel, it will not come out until you drop the entire tank down. This is due to the filler neck going really far into the tank with the anti-siphon valve.

I then tried looking up a new filler neck. Dorman shows one under part number 577-104 but no one had a price for it or an SKU. Not even Rock Auto. So a piece of fiberglass mat, a lot of Seals All and some black paint and so far so good.

Just thought I would share my experience. My car was only driven in the winter by the original owner the first 5 years of it's life. But it still gets driven in the rain sometimes. If you have an SN95, it might be a good idea to remove that split loom and inspect the tube. It might be better to just leave the loom off so it doesn't hold moisture.
MCQEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:53 PM   #2
MCQEEN
MMA Premier Member

Drove the car at lunch today and smelled gas. Looks to be leaking. Not sure if it is the filler neck or the grommet in the tank. Just going to replace everything as soon as this tank is empty.
MCQEEN is offline   Reply With Quote