PDA

View Full Version : Intake on a 4.0

Fokus83
05-10-2007, 01:45 PM
I've been looking into an intake for my '06 and almost all say that a tune is required with it. Does anyone have any backround on this? Real world hp claims are 6rwhp on a stock car for just the intake which hardly sounds like a major mod that would require a tune.

If it ends up being true - are there any risks to tuning a car? I've never had an SCT chip, tune, or anything like that done before. It's always been bolt on's and chassis/suspension stuff in the past for me. I still have a factory warranty, but I don't want to break anything since I'll be paying on it for quite a while and relying on it daily.

Fokus83
05-21-2007, 06:42 AM
To answer my own question lol.... most of the intakes for the 4.0 come with new MAF sampling tubes and DO require a tune. People report that if their car will even idle without a tune, it runs very lean. S & B, and K & N intakes are said to be the exception to that statement. I've ordered an S&B intake from rpm-outlet so I hope that this info holds true.

I was also able to pick up a pair of '05 GT take off mufflers (dyno proven for a little over 10hp to the ground) to be installed which should not require a tune. I'm probably only going to install 1 though to maintain the appearance of a V-6 and because it's said that the car's do not make any additional gains with dummy or even true duals until a power adder is brought in to the equation.

I plan on getting the car dyno'd soon just for the fun of it. Depending on the cost and availability of the dyno, I might go for baseline numbers and then back again after the exhaust and intake go on.