PDA

View Full Version : Good mods to relatively stock 00 V6

Codi_P
05-26-2008, 09:29 PM
I might have the chance to snag an 00 V6 for cheap (rock bottom cheap, no joke) the only mods it has is mufflers, and I'm not sure on the piping although i think it's stock... It's a dual exit using flowmaster mufflers.

Anyway, I was thinking of swapping motor and tranny mounts since they seem like they're going bad. Is there any mods I can do to give the car a lot more power? (not looking for tons, just for a little more get up and go)

Also, the car is AOD...

Thanks in advance.

Tim Russell
05-27-2008, 07:37 AM
I might have the chance to snag an 00 V6 for cheap (rock bottom cheap, no joke) the only mods it has is mufflers, and I'm not sure on the piping although i think it's stock... It's a dual exit using flowmaster mufflers.

Anyway, I was thinking of swapping motor and tranny mounts since they seem like they're going bad. Is there any mods I can do to give the car a lot more power? (not looking for tons, just for a little more get up and go)

Also, the car is AOD...

Thanks in advance.

Check the plugs and wires, aftermarket intake. Check to see if it's a true dual setup, if not a good shop should be able to fix ya up since it's dual until behind the cats stock. Change the gears to 3.73 and you might want to do a limited slip. Some do 4.10 on the autos but with gas above that in some places 3.73 will quicken things up without killing MPG.

Codi_P
05-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Check the plugs and wires, aftermarket intake. Check to see if it's a true dual setup, if not a good shop should be able to fix ya up since it's dual until behind the cats stock. Change the gears to 3.73 and you might want to do a limited slip. Some do 4.10 on the autos but with gas above that in some places 3.73 will quicken things up without killing MPG.

I heard dual on a V6 is overkill, is it true? 9After the crossover)

3.73's are about 200, how much is a limited slip?

What other mods add power? (stupid question but I don't want to buy a 400$ intake and end up getting 4hp. :rolleyes:0

CDR Stang
05-27-2008, 01:08 PM
A true dual exhaust is a nice upgrade for the 6er. If you're staying lightly modded, go with the 2.25" piping.

Tim Russell
05-27-2008, 03:35 PM

What other mods add power? (stupid question but I don't want to buy a 400$ intake and end up getting 4hp. :rolleyes:0

Many people get the $25.00 - $50.00 intakes off of ebay. Most put the filter in the fender well. I have a K&N FIPK that I like but it was around $200.00

BTW an underdrive pulley isn't a bad mod.

I think the limited slip I put in mine was around $200. I found gears for $144.99 here http://www.americanmuscle.com/mopepl3gefor.html

Traction-lok for a 7.5" rear end here for $188.35 http://www.stangsuspension.com/store/comersus_viewitem.asp?idproduct=268

I don't know about the quality of those parts. I have Ford racing gears and t-lok in my rear end.

Dynotune
05-27-2008, 03:35 PM
I know it cost a few $$$ But the best bang for the buck in a blower. I've installed close to a dozen on V6 stangs in the last few years and they respond very well.

Tim Russell
05-27-2008, 05:51 PM
I know it cost a few $$$ But the best bang for the buck in a blower. I've installed close to a dozen on V6 stangs in the last few years and they respond very well.

Tempting, I haven't done anything to the car in a few years. Would the 7.5" hold up ok if I wasn't doing a bunch of drag race launches? I have a 2000 V6 5-speed with a few mods, dual exhaust (GT-Takeoffs), 3.73 gears, T-lok, K&N FIPK and an intake spacer. I've been wanting more power so a little boost would be just the ticket.

Kirk
05-27-2008, 07:01 PM

On a bolt on V6 a true dual 2.25" is perfect.
I am running a full 3" dual on mine.

The $50 cold air kits on EBay are perfect and I'm running one.
Underdrive pulley is good for ~7rwhp

Codi_P
05-28-2008, 12:25 AM
On a bolt on V6 a true dual 2.25" is perfect.
I am running a full 3" dual on mine.

The $50 cold air kits on EBay are perfect and I'm running one.
Underdrive pulley is good for ~7rwhp

You run Full 3" because your V6 Makes more than 3 of some people's V8's.

:p

Is a tune needed for those pulleys and cold air kits?

Codi_P
05-28-2008, 12:27 AM

I don't plan on rebuilding a bottom end or add boost to it... Just to make it not so... Stock. :p

Kirk
05-28-2008, 03:49 AM
You run Full 3" because your V6 Makes more than 3 of some people's V8's.

:p

Is a tune needed for those pulleys and cold air kits?

No, the only thing you would need a tune for is a gear swap.

3.8stanger
05-30-2008, 02:28 PM
I got a 01 and i installed the gt take off exhuast with no cross over it gave me a few gains but i probably would have gone with pullies i hear their one of the favorite mods... then again the sound is alot nicer

Mod the rear end one wheel peels are kinda stupid