PDA

View Full Version : New Best

jefflouis
11-01-2005, 05:17 PM
i was at byron on the 22nd and ran a new best, not by much though. i ran a 15.935 @ 86.17 mph. my previous best was a 15.957 @ 84.61 mph.

1slo5.0
11-01-2005, 06:18 PM
A new best is a new best no matter how much faster. Congrats Jeff!

Kirk
11-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Congrats Jeff.

Good to see you still running the 6.

jefflouis
11-02-2005, 12:25 AM
Nice Job Jeff, was it the cold air alone, or did you do more to your car?

i haven't really done anything since i was to the track the last time that would warrant faster times, so i would imagine it was just the cold that day (oh boy was it cold!). i've got a bunch of little things to do, but i just never seem to be able to find time to just do them. hopefully that'll change when i'm home next.

however, i have changed the cold air intake a little bit again since i went the previous time (not quite sure when that was). here's what the intake looks like now. i took out the bend going into the fenderwell and just got a cheap maf adapter off ebay and hooked my filter onto it. when i ran on the 22nd, i pulled my right front headlight so that i was getting fresh air in that way. i'm still going to change it just a little bit more though by making a plexiglass shield to section off the filter from the engine bay a little bit and support the filter better. right now, its pretty much just hanging on for dear life by the blue rubber pieces.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/466000-466999/466235_82_full.jpg

Congrats Jeff.

Good to see you still running the 6.

it had been about 2 years or so since i'd been to the track, but i still dink around with the car every once in a while. :D

Kirk
11-02-2005, 07:33 AM
Looks good Jeff.

Greg@GLD
11-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Like the other guys, I agree-

A new best is a new best. Period. :cool:

As we get used to our cars/combos and driver input becomes less of a factor, you tend to get up against that wall where unless you make a combo change, getting a new best becomes much more difficult, as you are shifting at the best places, getting it off the line properly, and finding improvement gets harder and harder. So finding another thousandth or two is a good thing. :D

Tim Russell
11-02-2005, 08:28 AM
Hey Jeff, congrats on the new best, almost a 2 mph pickup. I love running in the cold air. :thumbs_up

jefflouis
11-03-2005, 01:30 AM
Like the other guys, I agree-

A new best is a new best. Period. :cool:

As we get used to our cars/combos and driver input becomes less of a factor, you tend to get up against that wall where unless you make a combo change, getting a new best becomes much more difficult, as you are shifting at the best places, getting it off the line properly, and finding improvement gets harder and harder. So finding another thousandth or two is a good thing. :D

i know what you mean. sometimes it just feels like you can try every little thing and it doesn't seem to help. however, when i was there last, i decided i was gonna solve something that had been bothering me for a long time once and for all and that was how i drive going down the track. on the street, i always thought in my head that my car felt like it was quicker shifting when i backed out of the gas for a split second and then went right back into it quickly than if i just leave the pedal mashed.

so to test this, i had my youngest brother (he weighs all of 100 lbs) in the passenger seat for a pass, because he'd never been to the dragstrip before and i wanted to show him what it was like to go down the track. so when i went down the track with him, i left the gas pedal mashed to the floor for the entire 1/4 mile and i ran a 16.4xx. my roommate (probably ~200 lbs) was also along with us to the track and he also had never been there before. so when i ran with ken in the car, i tried my blip of the throttle method and ran a 16.3xx. later on in the day, i tried this method with my brother in the car again and ran a 15.9xx. the cold might have had an effect on this though, because it was later in the day, whereas the other runs were back to back.

my conclusion is that i need a shift kit... :rolleyes:

Rat
01-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Yeah, the pedal mashing seems to be a failed strategy...But I finally figured that out yesterday. haha.