PDA

View Full Version : all motor help

06stang
11-28-2005, 05:43 AM
hey there guys im new to this forum and i didnt know where else to post. i am the proud owner of a 4.0 mustang. 06 by the way. like most of you may know we get dumped on ALOT for having a V6 rather then the V8. i plan on proving these people wrong. a V6 has just as much potential as the 8 if done correctly. anyway here is my question. is the V6 from the 3.8 and the 4.0 almost similar or are they truly 2 entirely different set ups? i ask cause im thinking about punching the motor out to a 4.2 at least but if if its a modified 3.8 then im affraid of overdoing it. when you stroke a motor is there a way to keep the stock crank and get longer rods, and what not? i wanna get a whole bottom end done up then i wanna have it balanced and cryo treated for a pretty bullet proof set up. next, does anyone have the size of the throttle body handy? i wanna get the throttle body bored out a little more then stock but i wanna know what i got before i commit to anything. also i plan on match porting the intake manifold to match the throttle body so i gotta have those numbers. lastly, does anyone know of a company that would be willing to go in on designing a custom cam set up? a cam would definately help the car out. i appreciate the time fella's and i hope that you can help me.

Kirk
11-28-2005, 07:18 AM
Welcome aboard.

Let me start with having an 06 is starting with a huge advantage in the V6 arena.
Bone stock they have about a 1.5 second 1/4 mile advantage over the 3.8 models.

Being a new model there are not a lot of options available yet.
One of our great sponsors Paul's High Performance had an 05 V6 at our Michigan shootout.
They ran a 14.4 NA with a 5spd. With just a few bolt-ons & an SCT tune. A bone stock auto can run 15.1's all day long right off the show room floor.

Greg@GLD
11-28-2005, 07:32 AM
Welcome to MMA and thank you for your service to our country. :flg:

You've found a home if you're a V6 fan, Kirk's one of the site owners. :biggrinsa

Paul's High Performance would be a good start for sure. :burnout:

06stang
11-28-2005, 07:41 AM
you guys are mad nice and thats so cool. some sites get all wound up for the dumbest stuff. anyway, i read in 5.0 mustang mag. that PHP is doing an 05 4.0 and it ran in teh 13.s with very few parts. to top it off the altitude was 3500ft and the temps the day they ran was close to 100. they believe they can run 13.5's with lower alt and a cooler day. the list of motor mods didnt exceed 4. insane by all rites. anyway, thanks for the support with the car so far and thanks for the support you have shown with me being in the military.

Kirk
11-28-2005, 07:49 AM
This is a Mustang Friendly site, no matter what the engine is.

So feel free to post up any questions you have.

06stang
11-28-2005, 08:13 AM
has anyone done a port and polish, match ported their head and match ported the exhaust side to match the headers? i want my 4.0 to be a serious contender so i wanna research and develop as much as possible. i started off with the goal of reaching 250 hp. from what i have read so far on average it isnt so uncommon to see a good 10+ hp gain from most bolt ons. granted that as you put these parts together, the hp gain may be minimal but i figure if the cars breathing better and expeling the gas faster and more effective then i have the makings of not only a 250 power house but maybe even more. this is my frist american car so any info you guys mite have as to something i should be aware of, please let me know.

p.s. has anyone dealt with the company MAC before? the make a long headers while JBA makes the shorty style. i wanna know which would be better for my higher HP goals. if mac is good then i will go with the longer ones.

Kirk
11-28-2005, 12:04 PM
Do you have a manual or an auto?

Twirkin50
11-28-2005, 12:18 PM
Welcome to the site! :flg:

At least your not at Minot AFB, although I am sure you share their nice weather.

06stang
11-28-2005, 12:27 PM
its a 5 speed. with very little done to her. i got the filter from k&n, and a magnaflow muffler and tip. outside is the cervinis ducktail spoiler, cervinis window scoops, xenon body scoops. inside i got a stock (cut) shifter that sits a good inch to inch and a half lower then normal. i want crazy hot looks so thats why i have so many body things compared to motor. my next motor mod will be the crank pulley from motoblue, then prob get the shorty or long headers.

hey twirkin50, dont laugh, my first base WAS minot. then i went to germany now im back in ND. how sad is that?

anyway, she will be a show car but when i gotta lay the smack down... i would like to do just that. next person who tells me its just a v6 will get stomped. assuming i do all the homework and get a powerhouse out of her.

Twirkin50
11-28-2005, 01:54 PM
The only limit to how fast or how much horsepower is how much money you are willing to invest to get there.

I have heard so many interesting stories about Minot. Where were you stationed in Germany? We head there shorty to Geilenkirchen for a month, should be fun as always. What is your AFSC?

06stang
11-28-2005, 01:58 PM
$$$ is always a big thing but i got plenty of time to make my dream a reality. i wanna start with the basics and then slowly build up from there. i was in ramstein germany by the way and i am in services. its a sucky job but someone has to do it. it pays for the car so i guess it aint all bad.

Kirk
11-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Sounds like you have one sharp looking car.

A good flowing dual exhaust is a plus and not too expensive.
If you are going to do the long tubes get that figured out since it will force you to make some changes to the exhaust. Also for the MAC's getting them coated is a must.
Most people I know have them Jet Hot coated. It protects them and also is a heat barrier.

Generally speaking an underdrive pulley is good for about 6 rwhp.

Nvr_Evil
11-28-2005, 02:23 PM
To answer your first question if the 4.0 is a beefed version of the 3.8 or are they two complete different animals...answer is two different animals. The 4.0 started its life as the 2.8l found in rangers and bronco IIs. It was then punched to 2.9 and then to 3.0 and then to almost the very max at 4.0. With the addition of SOHC heads, I do believe there is a little more meat on the block to work with. As far as the 3.8 goes Ford themselves actually stroked it to a 4.2L now found in full size trucks and vans and the "3.8" is now laid to rest with the common blown head gasket problem. Anywho and anyha, welcome to the site and hopefully we can help you get to your goals.

BTW a little squeeze can never hurt because you to have the hypereutectic pistons.

06stang
11-28-2005, 03:03 PM
hypereutectic pistons= whats that? is it a special type of piston? id like to run on juice but i refuse (TOTALLY REFUSE) to install a bottle until i get the block built. that way once im tuned to where i want it i can put more then a 75 shot or 100 in it. built from head to toe id like to see 150 shot but like i said thats once im beefed. so MAC is good except for having to treat it?! is the heat treatment something i can do or should i take it in? if so would a muffler shop be a good place to start? i think that once i get the headers and the exhaust im gonna save and do the throttle port. match port the intake manifold and then match the exhaust side to the headers. full head work wont start till i know that if i can get custom cams or not. man i need to deploy. :mad:

Nvr_Evil
11-28-2005, 03:58 PM
Basic pistons are Cast, better pistons are Hypereutectic and the best are forged. Hypereutectic can handle about 75 to 100 hp shot of nitrous easily, anymore than 150 and you could risk melting your pistons. Biggest thing is research research research. Know what you are wanting to do, willing to pay, and the time it will take to do it all and set it up properly the first time.

Twirkin50
11-28-2005, 04:19 PM
Basic pistons are Cast, better pistons are Hypereutectic

I have heard these pistons are total junk. I have an 01 Cobra that I wanted to put the manifold and blower off of an 03, but heard that 6psi and detonation once equals a shattered piston. Thoughts, comments?

Nvr_Evil
11-28-2005, 04:33 PM
For your combo Twirk i would invest in the forged aluminum pistons. They Hypers are typically for non power adder applications.

06stang
11-28-2005, 04:35 PM
if im gonna go all motor and use nitrous on it then rest assured im gonna be using forged. i wanna have it balanced also so before i do any of it once i actually have it, the other option besides cryo treatment is to shot peen the lot. EXTRA sturdy. i know alot of this mite seem like over kill but its also piece of mind. i dont wanna put any old thing together and have it run at 80% when if i went the one extra yard it could be at 100%. i promised the wife basic bolt ons while the cars under warrenty so i will stick with it. once i am out of the warrenty phase i should have everything i need and all i would have to do is install it.

06stang
11-29-2005, 01:40 PM
my digital camera took a dump on me but i will be trying to get a good pic of the car on here real soon so that you guys can see the progress a 3 month old has made. stay tuned.

Kirk
11-29-2005, 01:55 PM
stick to the bolt ons for now i have heard high flow duals,cold air kit and headers with a sct retune will help alot. my v8 had a 52mm t body stock not sure on the sixes

Good suggestions Coop.

Mine has a 60mm stock. For now...... :hehe:

06stang
11-29-2005, 07:46 PM
4.10?! i was wondering whether to go 3.75 i think it was or the 4.10. the 3.75 is more for an all around driver rite? the 4.10 is more for the haul ass type huh? in the quarter or even attempting to drift i guess a higher revving would help.

Kirk
11-29-2005, 07:49 PM
Yep. Have 4.10's in mine.
Most 5spds go with 3.73's.

06stang
11-29-2005, 07:53 PM
whats the down side to this higher gear? as with anything im sure i will end up suffering somewhere. isnt it my top speed that suffers a little?

Nick 1
11-30-2005, 12:18 AM
I have heard these pistons are total junk. I have an 01 Cobra that I wanted to put the manifold and blower off of an 03, but heard that 6psi and detonation once equals a shattered piston. Thoughts, comments?

I'm not sure about boost, but I know people who spray a 200 shot on factory hyper-junk pistons & even factory cast pistons. Just have to be a nitrous junky & slowly sneek up on the tune. ;)

06Stang - Welcome to MMA

BP Convt
11-30-2005, 12:30 AM
I respect anybody that wants to modifiy their car. Sounds like your long term plan is for alot of horsepower. Was your V6 purchase originally due to cheaper insurance? Just curious. If a Buick Regal 3.8L turbo can run 11's with a few mods, then I'm sure your V6 Mustang can be fast as hell too with the right power adder. It's only money.

06stang
12-01-2005, 06:04 AM
insurance never came up to be honest. every mustang i had seen was an automatic and i thought that was really sad. (no offense to any auto owners). i just felt that an auto stang was a waste but then i took my 5 speed for a test drive and i fell in love. on top of that aside from leather seats, my stang is the top of the line V6. i couldnt afford the top of the line 8 and aside from that the base model of the 6 and the 8 are missing a few bling factors on the interior. the steering wheel is a good example. no leather, and the aluminum accent that surrounds my steering wheel is not present in the base 8. i think the biggest factor for the 6 was that its easy to smoke someone in a car that has 300 hp stock but really, if you have 300 hp stock your making a killing off half the cars on the road. i wanted a challenge and when im done i wanna show people that a 6 is not a 4 banger. it seems peeps frown on a 6 when in my eyes some of the craziest cars have been 6's. over 1000HP from an inline 6 supra. come on now, its not a V but its still a 6 and i wanna be a leader for the pack. if i cant beat an 8 at least when im done building her up, i wanna hang with her so i can say i match it. if i feel i have met my goals then i'll go forced induction and i should have a killer on my hands.

06stang
12-06-2005, 05:42 AM
changing to a gear of 4.10, would it be of any help to have it polished. there is a polish process i read about in a magazine that uses a machine that spins your part and it has ceramic beads or something like that. its supposed to polish and its supposed to help you out. is there any real advantage of doing this? i understand a smooth surface will make the gears run smoother against one another but any hardcore advantage with doing this? i ask cuz its a fairly cheap process to do the gear but its still about $125. if i dont have to pay it for not to noticable a change then i can always have it polished at home. anyway guys what do you think. yay or nay?

Nick 1
12-07-2005, 09:29 PM
changing to a gear of 4.10, would it be of any help to have it polished. there is a polish process i read about in a magazine that uses a machine that spins your part and it has ceramic beads or something like that. its supposed to polish and its supposed to help you out. is there any real advantage of doing this? i understand a smooth surface will make the gears run smoother against one another but any hardcore advantage with doing this? i ask cuz its a fairly cheap process to do the gear but its still about $125. if i dont have to pay it for not to noticable a change then i can always have it polished at home. anyway guys what do you think. yay or nay?

For a dedicated drag racer I would say yes, but for a street car it's not worth your time or money IMO.

smokin'Red35th
12-08-2005, 02:03 AM
I never liked 6 cyl stangs till the new 05s came out. I think they are really sharp, and more respectable based off the numbers i have seen.

Welcome 06stang! nice to see another servicemember on the site!
BTW- Im a 2E2 (comm) stationed in Aviano.

06stang
12-08-2005, 05:06 AM
im gonna see about trying to get stationed in ghedi, IT. for the last few years that i have. i miss teh autobahn... even though its italy and not germany. the wifes folks are german so id be visiting them alot. anyway, i didnt think the polishing would be worth much but im sure the gear itself will be a hoot to rag on. also i have a question about the ford racing T-loc diff. i'm assuming that this is a 1 way diff designed to allow power to get to both wheels during accel. does anyone know where i can get a 1.5 way diff? i wanna take the car to the drag strip but i also wanna use her for some drifting and you decel just as frequently as you accel, so i wanna keep the wheels spinning together even on the portions where i gotta lower the gears. id prefer to keep ford racing cuz it shouldnt void warrenty but i also have no clue what ford backs when it comes to the ford racing parts.

Kirk
03-17-2006, 08:49 PM
Here is a good place that now has some 4.0 goodies.

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/SSM200640SOHCCatalogVer3.pdf

06stang
03-18-2006, 07:38 PM
dude that website freakin rocks. thanks for that find man. i will def be ordering some items off them.