PDA

View Full Version : A little power

Rat
01-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Ok, right now, all I want is to get my car running close to equal with a GT. I have a 2000 3.8l v6 with a manual 5-speed. I'm about to install a CAI, but other than that, what is the most economical, efficient way to get my car running at about 230-240hp? I want to spend the least amount as possible, while retaining a v6. No engine swap, no trading in of my car. ;) I'd really like to spend the least amount possible and even supercharging or turbocharging is too much right now. I've looked at underdrive pulleys, a little at nitrous, and I really would like to know as much as anyone would be willing to dole out for me. Thanks!

*edit* oh, yeah. What kind of hp can I expect from the various workings on my engine? I know a CAI may be only good for like 6-7 and pulleys add maybe 10hp, but any other advice or help would be awesome. Thanks.

Kirk
01-07-2006, 01:42 PM
All the basic bolt ons CAI, UDP, Gears will not even get you to 200 rwhp.
Tim has a 2000 5spd & with those mods I believe is at about 190rwhp.

CAI is good for maybe 3hp UDP 6-7hp.

Short of adding some form of power adder or port & polish intakes & heads & a new cam 200 rwhp is about the limit at the max.

sacstoy02gt
01-07-2006, 02:43 PM
I"m no v6 expert...so hopefully Kirk can reply to this too...

How about a 4.2 bottom-end? Might be able to find a motor in a boneyard somewhere for a good price, I'm guessing the extra displacement would help a bit.

Take that, intake, pullies, exhaust, and a tune and you might be darn close to your goal.

If it we me, I'd just slap a blower on it :D

Nvr_Evil
01-07-2006, 02:51 PM
I"m no v6 expert...so hopefully Kirk can reply to this too...

How about a 4.2 bottom-end? Might be able to find a motor in a boneyard somewhere for a good price, I'm guessing the extra displacement would help a bit.

Take that, intake, pullies, exhaust, and a tune and you might be darn close to your goal.

If it we me, I'd just slap a blower on it :D

Sacstoy is onto something. I drive a Ford e250 with a fresh 4.2L engine. It is the same block only bumped from 3.8 to 4.2. In a van loaded with a 300# driver and about 700# of cargo and it weighing about 4000, it runs like a raped ape. I havent done the 0-60 yet on it, but Im very impressed with the refinement they did. There is a listing on here for a SuperCoupe engine for about $300 or $400 (dont quote me on price) CHEAP and with everything you need to pop the top half into your car.

Kirk
01-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Yes a 4.2 short block will help.
But you still need to build upon that. The 4.2 will give more torque than a similarly modded 3.8 and some HP. The torque is the big difference

jefflouis
01-10-2006, 01:25 AM
kirk, do you happen to know about how much hp and torque you'd gain by simply doing the 4.2 swap?

Kirk
01-10-2006, 07:17 AM
It's a small gain on HP but a nice jump in TQ.

Fatstang
01-10-2006, 08:05 AM
Get a blower.

sacstoy02gt
01-10-2006, 08:08 AM
Get a blower.

http://www.isaacolson.com/forum/images/smiles/Word-Sign.gif

88Nightmare
01-10-2006, 12:42 PM
www.moranav6racing.com

check them out, im sure Kirk knows something about them. I think they have awesome V6 stuff.

From personal experience, my first mustang was a 98 V6, automatic, with a Vortech V2 supercharger kit at around 4 or 5 psi. Nothing much, but it was enough, with other minor boltons to get me to at least hang with a GT. I had no motor work though, just simply a bolted on blower.

Rat
01-10-2006, 08:23 PM
I know bolt ons wouldn't give me the power, but I was curious as to what other options there would be out there or any other work I could do, but I'm really trying to see what the cheapest route is...maybe it's just a gettin' a GT anyway :rolleyes:

Kirk
01-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Ported intakes, heads and a good cam will get you right in the ballpark.

Kirk
01-10-2006, 10:35 PM
The knowledge of what works and the limits of parts has grown immensely in the last few years.

You would be suprised what is happening now.

88Nightmare
01-10-2006, 10:53 PM
Kirk, do you know anything about Team Morana and their website?

Kirk
01-10-2006, 11:00 PM
Tom Morana has a lot of good stuff & knowledge.
He is the main sponsor of our Northern Race.

Also Mik at rpm-mustangs.com and Tom at supersixmotorsports.com

These are the three main players in the V6 world.

88Nightmare
01-10-2006, 11:21 PM
those are some good websites right there.

Rat
01-14-2006, 04:36 PM
I know I haven't posted in a while, but this is what I've decided to do: I would like to port and polish my existing intakes and add an intake spacer. I'd probably then replace the heads with heads from super six motorsports as while as the cam to go with. I want to try to match what they have in the stage 2+ pack. Of course, I'm gonna do the basic bolt on route as well. Get the UDP's and true duals. I'm hoping that will all get me the power that I'm looking for while maintaining a naturally aspirated stang. That's at least my goal. And, of course, I appreciate all the help! Thanks for your patience and time, I've really been self-educating myself on a lot of the matters and it helps to have people to talk to. I'm kinda new at this stuff and I'm looking forward to building up my v6.