PDA

View Full Version : Tuning

01v6stangpwr
02-27-2006, 11:34 PM
Alright guys I have a '01 V6 Stang, obviously a 3.8L. I have a Cold Air Intake, and a MAC Catback Exhaust. I'm looking at installing this Nitrous Kit http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Pages/FordStage1.htm Probably going for a 75hp - 100hp shot... Are there any places around Milwaukee that do tuning. I already know that it's going to be hard on my car so I'm planning on changing the plugs and such. I have other plans for my car when it hits around 100k, which is why I'm going for a Nitrous kit instead of a S/C... A little extra input would be nice as well. My car is a 5-Speed car as well. Thanks in advance guys!

Tim Russell
02-28-2006, 08:31 AM
I would install a trac-lok and 3.73 gears before doing nitrous. With the stock open rear end you'll just be doing one wheel burnouts. Trust me you'll love 3.73 gears with a 5-speed car and the trac-lok will shunt the power to both wheels.

From what I've read over at 3.8mustang.com and on other sites a 75 shot is about as big as you can go with the 3.8.

BTW on my 2K 3.8 I have the following Engine/drivetrain mods.:

GT takeoff dual exhausts, CAI, UD pulley, intake spacer, 3.73 gears and trac-lok.

Kirk
02-28-2006, 09:18 AM
I agree with Tim.
Get gears & a T-lok for traction.

A 75 shot is usually safe, a 100 could be pushing it but it has been done.

01v6stangpwr
02-28-2006, 04:36 PM
I've been looking at 8.8" Rear Ends for my car, as you may of noticed my post in the driveline forum. Just trying to prepare for the day that I actually do the swap... Does the Stock GT Rear End have TracLoc... And I'm currently having MAD TRACTION Problems with my car... Possibly has to do with it being lowered and not changing the bumpstop (yeah that's my error, I need to fix that when it's warmer) Hrmmm maybe I should get the rest of my ducks in a row first... I do need to finish some suspension fine tuning... I was having a "I want to go fast but my V6 don't want to let me" moment... lol

EDIT: I forgot... Do you guys think the 7.5 w/TracLoc and Gears could hold up to a large power increase, or should I upgrade to the 8.8? The future is looking to either a 4.6 or a 5.0 Swap Possibly with a Charger... Not sure exactly what yet... But it'll host 8 cylinders :cool:

Tim Russell
02-28-2006, 04:46 PM
The stock 8.8 has a tracloc and will come with 3.27 gears. Easy to have those swapped for 3.73's. You are correct about getting your ducks in a row. With more power your traction problems will only get worse so it is best to sort out your suspension and get a traclok rear end.

If your planning a big power increase you it migh be smart to go to a 8.8" rear. That would give you a tracloc and then you can do gears when you choose. If you mod the 7.5" and then later go to an 8.8" to support bigger power all the $$$ that went into the 7.5 is wasted. That being said the 7.5 has been known to take a fair amount of power but I don't know the upper limit.

Kirk
02-28-2006, 04:48 PM
The 7.5 holds up pretty well.

Hard launches on sticky tires will lead to some failures.

01v6stangpwr
02-28-2006, 05:12 PM
Hard launches on sticky tires will lead to some failures.

Yup and that's what scares me into investing in an 8.8 and some 3.73s... Because I know sooner or later I'm gunna look like this :shifter:

00SoSlow
08-30-2006, 12:34 AM
the stock 7.5 would hold up to anything but t-lok and slicks with a good launch, u can say bye bye to the rearend... if ur not going to be doing a lot of power to high launch on slicks id stay with 7.5 and have fun with it till u do break it, nothing like a good accomplishment

Dynotune
08-30-2006, 07:06 AM
I know were not near Milwaukee but we have tuned a few V-6 Mustangs with blowers.

jefflouis
08-30-2006, 11:05 PM
the stock 7.5 would hold up to anything but t-lok and slicks with a good launch, u can say bye bye to the rearend... if ur not going to be doing a lot of power to high launch on slicks id stay with 7.5 and have fun with it till u do break it, nothing like a good accomplishment

I blew one up at about 36,000 miles or so when all that I had was a cold air intake.