Go Back  Midwest Mustang Association > Technical Discussion Forums > General Tech
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Analyzers Search New posts Mark Forums Read
Gallery MMA VideoShare Members Rides Reviews MMA IM Chat VideoShareII

Old 01-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #1
smokin'Red35th
MMA Premier Member

Lightbulb School me on Air Compressors

I'm looking for a small air compressor for general home use. I'd love to get a 20-30 gal compressor to be able to run impact guns and air ratchets off it, but that's outside my budget at the moment. I've got about $200 to spend and it will be used mainly for airing up tires and general light duty. What do you all recommend?

Also, while we're on the subject, how much would I have to invest in a compressor capable of running air tools such as an impact gun and ratchet? I know it depends on CFM's and all that jibber jabber... Break it down for me. I went to publick skool

My thought process is this, buy something small/inexpensive now, and get a bigger one later for the garage and move the small one to the wood shop.
smokin'Red35th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
smokin'Red35th
MMA Premier Member

Just a little out of my budget, but might be worth holding out and saving a bit extra money to get it? Husky 33-gal. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-33-...stomer_reviews

This craftsman looks like a winner too. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/allmodrev...=seeAllReviews

Last edited by smokin'Red35th; 01-12-2014 at 08:06 PM.
smokin'Red35th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
DRK
Formerly known as Punchy

I wouldnt buy anything but a pumpkin that was oil less. Your going to need at least 10cfm @ 90 psi to run air tools and have any real torque.

I have this in my garage. Its belt drive so its cheap and easy to fix and is about the biggest 110V you can buy. It will not keep up with impacts, sanders, or spray guns but it's been the cats ass for running grinders, airing things up, and blowing things off.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...sor.html#specs

I would check CL for some used stuff. Just check the tanks well for signs of damage and or corrosion.
DRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
markstang
Leader of the MMA BLUE Mustang Posse

you can always add an extra air tank inline w/ the smaller air comp. Like the portable air tanks used at the track.
you'll have more reserve air to run tools or fill tires ect.
as far as a good brand to get. I'm not sure now a days, every company is capable of making junk.